The Grade 10 Graduation Literacy Assessment (GLA 10) assesses students’ ability to use critical thinking and analysis to make meaning from a diverse array of texts. It also assesses the ability of students to communicate their ideas. GLA 10 is not based on a particular course but on learning across multiple subjects, from kindergarten to Grade 10.
The BC Ministry of Education has implemented a Grade 10 Literacy Assessment that will be a requirement of the Graduation Program
- The Literacy Assessment is a new provincial assessment and a graduation requirement for students on the 2018 Graduation Program.
- Students will write the assessment in Grade 10
- Unlike the retired provincial exams for English Language Arts (ELA), this assessment is not tied to a specific ELA course. Rather, it evaluates a student’s literacy skills developed over the course of their education.
- Results will be reported using a four-category proficiency scale and will appear on a student’s transcript as a number, representing one of the four categories (emerging-developing-proficient-extending).
- Universities may be interested in a student’s assessment results, as part of the application process.
GLA 10 is delivered online and has three parts.
Part A (all students complete this part): Students will read several different types of texts (e.g. blogs, infographics, newspaper or magazine articles, social media feeds, and stories). Students will demonstrate that they can analyze and make meaning from the texts by answering a series of selected-response questions. They will then provide written responses to communicate their understanding.
Part B (students choose one of two options): After choosing one option, students will read a new set of texts. Again, they will demonstrate that they can analyze and make meaning of the texts by answering selected-response questions. They will then provide written responses to communicate personal connections.
Self-Reflection Component: These questions ask students to reflect on their experience with the assessment. This component is not marked.